Monday, July 12, 2010

Ireland




The trip started off with us traveling through the night and not getting any sleep on Thursday night. Not a good idea, the air ports were absolutely freezing! Anyway, Friday when we arrived in Dublin and it was cold and rainy. We decided to take a tour of the Guinness brewery. It was awesome. We ended up in the Sky Bar at the end of the tour. There we got a free pint of Guinness and a view of the entire city of Dublin. It was well worth the 11 euro entrance fee. We went into the Jameson gift shop but did not take any tour. We didn’t want to pay the entrance fee again. We are so cheap. We also went to a movie on Friday night, I know that sounds lame, but it was rainy and cold and we were very exhausted from the night before. It was so comforting being in a movie theatre. Considering that we don't have any television in our room back in London and I haven't watched a movie in over a month, it was very relaxing and I felt right at home.


We woke up at 5:30 am on Saturday morning, sort of well rested. It was difficult to sleep because we were sleeping in a room that had 16 beds. It was rough. But we took a bus tour to see the Ireland countryside and the Cliffs of Moher. The tour lasted from around 6 am to 7 pm. I absolutely loved the tour. Even though when we went, it was rainy and pretty cold, the fog hadn’t settled in yet so I was just glad that we could fully see the cliffs. We also stopped in several other small villages that were interesting to the Irish culture. I also loved getting out of Dublin. It seems like a nice town, but in my opinion, it is sort of run-down and reminds me of a bigger version of Camden in London. So Saturday night we went to the Temple bar. Even though we were at a very tourist pub in Dublin, I wasn’t expecting to hear the song Sweet Home Alabama played a few times. It was fun though. We met the Dublin football team. Even thought the place was absolutely packed, people still tried to move for you and when you needed to order a drink they moved away from the bar for you. There was just a noticeable difference in hospitality.


Sunday we went to Kilmainham Gaol. It was a historical jail for Ireland and I really enjoyed the tour of it. Apparently the original “Italian Job” was shot there and so was one of Daniel Dey Lewis’s movies. We also visited Trinity College, the Dublin Castle and St.Mary’s church. We were very productive for the short amount of time we had. We didn’t arrive home last night until about 12:30am. I was completely exhausted and now I’m sick. I have a sore throat and I can feel it getting substantially worse every day.


Honestly words can't describe how beautiful the Irish countryside was. I will post more pictures soon so you can see what I mean. I will write more soon. Love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment